- special offers
- Featured Products
- age smart ®
- body therapy
- clear start
- concentrated boosters
- daylight defense ™
- eye treatments
- medibac clearing®
- powerBright TRx™
- skin kits
- targeted treatments
- travel sizes
- Acne and breakouts
- Dryness and dehydration
- Sensitivity or redness
- Signs of skin ageing
- Uneven skin tone
- Skin Nutrition
- Self Tanning
- Gift vouchers
- Body Care
Recently viewed …
You haven't yet viewed any products on our store. If you've been here before, you may need to sign in.
teenagers and breakouts
Teenage breakouts are a tough nut to crack, but achieving clear skin is possible with the right knowledge, know-how and Clear Start, our dedicated breakout-clearing line for teens.
what causes teen breakouts?
Breakouts are generally part-genetic, part-hormonal. But unlike adult breakouts, which tend to be inflammatory and related to stress, teen breakouts are usually triggered by puberty.
As teenagers transition from children to adults, puberty triggers the movement of new chemicals in their bodies. Androgen hormones, often called “male” hormones even though they are in both males and females, become more pronounced — and trigger breakouts.
why are they such a big deal?
Teenage breakouts are completely normal but they can greatly affect your teenager's appearance. This can lead to bullying, stress, depression and low self-esteem. The good news? The hormones that cause them eventually stabilise, lessening breakouts as teenagers reach adulthood.
how should my teen treat breakouts?
Your teen’s key focus at this stage should be to unclog pores, minimize breakout-causing bacteria and control oil. Thorough cleansing, toning and moisturizing day and night is a good start, as well as incorporating products that work to reduce impaction plugs, kill bacteria, control excess sebum and reduce Inflammation.
Clear Start Breakout Clearing Kit makes treating breakouts easy with a 3-step cleansing, toning and moisturising regimen, as well as Clear Start Breakout Clearing Overnight Treatment to deliver real results.
Your teen should also practice the following clear skin habits:
- Avoid comedogenic (pore-clogging) ingredients, which can worsen breakouts.
- Use gentle exfoliants such as Clear Start Blackhead Clearing Pore Control Scrub instead of mentholated or alcohol-based toners, which can strip skin of necessary oils and trigger even more oil production.
- Drink more water to help flush out toxins, carry nutrients through the body and improve blood circulation.
- Keep sensitive skin in check with soothing, cooling ingredients and soap-free cleansers such as Clear Start Breakout Clearing Foaming Wash.
- Avoid using fabric softener sheets, which are made of animal fat (namely beef lard), not to mention artificial fragrance. This comedogenic coating can get on pillowcases, irritate skin and clog pores.
- Don’t cleanse with very hot water, harsh soap, vigorous scrubbing movements, or rough loofahs and brushes. It will only make breakouts worse.
- For those of you who live close to us get an occasional skin treatment at our Salon such as Dermalogica’s Clear Start Breakout Clearing MicroZone Treatment, designed to solve emergency issues on the spot.
Getting your teen to establish good habits and an effective skin care regimen now can help set them up for a lifetime of clear, healthy skin.