- special offers
- Featured Products
- active clearing®
- age smart ®
- powerBright TRx™
- body therapy
- clear start
- daylight defense ™
- eye treatments
- serums and boosters
- skin kits
- travel sizes
- Acne and breakouts
- Dryness and dehydration
- Sensitivity or redness
- Signs of skin ageing
- Uneven skin tone
- Kerastase-Paris BLOND ABSOLU Best for: Blonde Hair
- Kerastase-Paris GENESIS Best for: Forifying broken hair
- Kerastase-Paris NUTRITIVE Best for: Nourishing Hair
- Kerastase-Paris REFLECTION Best for: Radiance and Colour Care
- Kerastase-Paris RESISTANCE Best for: Strengthening
- Kerastase-Paris ELIXIR ULTIME Best for: Long Lasting Shine
- Kerastase-Paris DISCIPLINE Best for: Smoothing Frizzy Hair
- Kerastase-Paris DENSIFIQUE Best for: Boosting and Thickening Hair
- Kerastase-Paris SPECIFIQUE Best for: Cleansing and Soothing
- Kerastase-Paris AURA BOTANICA Best for: Glowing Hair
- Kerastase-Paris FUSIO SCRUB Best for: Self Care and Soothing
- Kerastase-Paris CURL MANIFESTO Best for: Curly Hair
- Jane Iredale make-up
- Skin Nutrition - ANP
- Vita Liberata Self Tanning
- Gift vouchers
Recently viewed …
You haven't yet viewed any products on our store. If you've been here before, you may need to sign in.
how do you treat adult acne?
Are you still using the same acne products you relied on as a teen? You'll probably already know that they're not working like they used to. That's because there's a big difference between the acne we get as teenagers and the acne we get as adults.
Teen acne is part-genetic, part-hormonal and greatly related to increased oil production—an unfortunate side effect of puberty. Teens usually break out all over the face, neck and chest. But their skin tends to regenerate quickly, and they eventually outgrow acne.
In contrast, adult acne tends to be deeper, more painful and more cyclical. It is usually caused by stress or hormonal fluctuations, and found around the mouth, jaw and chin. Because cell turnover slows with age, adult skin can take longer to heal than teen skin. Redness can also last longer, and acne can be complicated by sensitivity, dehydration and pigmentation issues.
how to treat adult acne
To get clearer skin as an adult, focus on targeting the four main contributing factors of acne: overactive sebaceous glands, cell proliferation, growth of acne-causing bacteria and inflammation.
Look for multifunctional products that contain ingredients like Salicylic Acid, which helps clear away dead skin cells; Benzoyl Peroxide, which helps kill bacteria; and soothing botanicals like Tea Tree Oil and Licorice.
practice good skin care habits
While teen and adult acne differ, both crowds can benefit from the following habits, which help promote clear skin:
- Clean makeup brushes regularly, wash pillowcases weekly and disinfect cell phones daily to help reduce bacteria.
- Avoid ingredients such as Lanolin, Isopropyl Myristate (common in powders), Mineral Oil (which can prevent skin cells from shedding properly) and fragrance (a common irritant).
- Be careful not to cleanse with hot water or over-exfoliate. Both habits can dry out the skin, which can lead to wrinkles.
- Avoid pore-clogging, congestion-inducing habits like working out with makeup on.
Finally, since many adult acne issues are triggered by stress, focus on reducing your stress level. Get more sleep, balance your diet, drink more water, limit caffeine consumption, exercise and don't smoke! Do this, and you'll be on your way to clear skin in no time!
MediBac Clearing is Dermalogica’s answer to adult acne. To find out which products are ideal for your skin, contact one of our Dermalogica professional skin therapists for a Face Mapping skin analysis and customised product prescription.